The University of KwaZulu-Natal was established in 2004 after the merger of the University of Natal and the University of Durban-Westville. Both universities have rich histories and have contributed to excellence in teaching and learning.
The University of Durban-Westville is well-known for taking part in “education under protest” action in the 1980s. The University of Natal in Pietermaritzburg was founded in 1910 and was originally known as Natal University College. It was granted university status in 1949 due to growing numbers.
Students and staff are able to achieve their goals because of the value-driven organisational culture. These values include respect, excellence, accountability, honesty, and trust. They guide the management structure as well as the courses.
University of KwaZulu-Natal Faculties and Schools
- Agriculture, Engineering and Science
- Agricultural, Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Chemistry and Physics
- Life Sciences
- Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- Health Sciences
- Clinical Medicine
- Laboratory Medicine and Medical Sciences
- Nursing and Public Health
- Religion, Philosophy and Classics
- Social Sciences
- Applied Human Sciences
- Built Environment and Development Studies
- of Education
- Law and Management Studies
- Business and Leadership (Business Management Association in cooperation with Hampton College Durban)
- Accounting, Economics and Finance
- Management, IT and Governance
Recently, the new KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for Tuberculosis and HIV was built in partnership with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.